Valerie Benfield answers questions about the return of MGP’s 2-day conference on clinical guidance and best practice as an in-person event in 2021
Read this article to learn more about:
- what plans are in place as Guidelines Live returns as an in-person event in 2021
- what makes Guidelines Live a must-attend event, and what topics are on the agenda
- how Guidelines Live supports appraisal and revalidation, and how to register to attend.
What plans are in place for Guidelines Live 2021?
Guidelines Live will be held on Tuesday 30 November and Wednesday 1 December at ExCeL, London. The Guidelines Live team are excited and confident about hosting an in-person event at the end of November this year. The safety of all participants is our overriding focus, and our team closely follow the latest guidance from relevant bodies on COVID-19 safety measures related to hosting an indoor event. We are already planning some simple safety precautions, including print-at-home badges, one-way traffic flow around the show floor, increased aisle widths, and additional sanitation. Furthermore, we will request that all attendees, visitors, and exhibitors use the NHS COVID-19 contact-tracing app on arrival at the venue. We want Guidelines Live to be a safe, informative, and enjoyable experience for all.
What do past delegates say about attending an in-person event?
In early April 2021, we conducted a short survey with past delegates to ensure that we took their views into account as we planned the event. We were delighted with the results, which showed that 96% of past delegates are ‘highly interested’ or ‘interested’ in attending Guidelines Live 2021 as an in-person event. The aspects of an in-person event considered important by the past delegates surveyed were:
- the option to raise questions with expert GP speakers
- the chance to network with like-minded healthcare professionals
- the opportunity to ring-fence time to focus on guidance-related learning.
Comments from the past delegates surveyed on attending Guidelines Live in 2021 included:
- ‘It would be wonderful to return to face to face after a year and half of virtual updates. Really looking forward to it.’—GP delegate, 2020
- ‘It would be amazing to be part of this fantastic event once again.’—GP delegate, 2020
- ‘I am looking forward to another fruitful and useful event.’—Specialty doctor delegate, 2020.
What makes Guidelines Live a must-attend event?
Keeping up to date with new guidelines is key to ensuring that patients receive the best possible healthcare at all times. In addition, by following evidence-based pathways, you will safeguard your practice.
Attending Guidelines Live will help you to keep up to date with new guidance, and will provide you with the opportunity to:
- question expert GP speakers and peers about new guidance
- network with colleagues to discuss local challenges and explore workable solutions
- build an understanding of how new guidance will change your clinical practice
- identify actions to support your team in delivering best practice.
Feedback from delegates who attended the event in 2020 showed that Guidelines Live provides guidance-related learning in a useful and enjoyable format that meets the needs of busy GPs, nurses, and pharmacists: 99% stated that they would attend again, and 100% said that they would recommend the event to a colleague.
What clinical topics will be on the agenda?
As the largest UK event on clinical guidance, the agenda will include 36 guidance-focused sessions across 12 clinical streams to provide updates on new and recently updated guidance, including practical advice from expert GP speakers and patient case studies to support best practice.
The clinical streams confirmed to date include:
- ear, nose, and throat
- primary care recognition and referral.
In our survey of past delegates, we also gathered information on topics past delegates would like to see covered, and this information is being used to inform which clinical streams to include and session briefs.
How will the event support appraisal and revalidation?
Over the 2-day event, you will have the opportunity to attend six sessions each day—you can claim continuing professional development (CPD) credits for attending sessions, reflecting on your learning, and sharing your knowledge with your practice team. After the event, you will receive a personalised CPD certificate confirming your attendance at Guidelines Live. To support reflective learning, the event guide will include a reflective template and a QR code to download the document, enabling you to make notes, reflect on your learning in the sessions, and document how it will change your clinical practice.
After the event, presentations from the independent sessions will be available online to all delegates. This will give you the opportunity to extend your learning by reviewing content from sessions you did not attend over the 2 days.
How do people register to attend?
You can book your place at Guidelines Live 2021 online at: www.guidelineslive.co.uk.
We have a limited number of educational bursaries, worth £360 including VAT, available for UK-registered healthcare professionals. A registration fee of £48 including VAT is payable at booking, which entitles you to:
- digital versions of Guidelines in Practice
- Guidelines —Guidelines Live companion edition: a special Guidelines Live supplement including new summaries and those most relevant to the sessions covered during the event
- digital resources from the clinical sessions.
What makes organising Guidelines Live enjoyable?
Seeing the audience reaction: it is always great to hear and feel the buzz around the event—seeing discussions between delegates and speakers at the end of a session, hearing delegates chatting in breaks about shared challenges, and learning how, armed with new information, they plan to support their patients. In addition, receiving short messages of thanks as delegates leave energised and determined to put their learnings into clinical practice makes it all worthwhile.
The direct feedback we receive from speakers and delegates is hugely rewarding, and reinforces the message that our audience really appreciate the practical aspects of Guidelines Live. Comments that we have received from delegates who attended previous events include:
- ‘Excellent speakers/topics all very GP relevant.’—GP delegate, 2020
- ‘Professional. Relevant. Focused. Fun.’—GP delegate, 2020
- ‘Very thorough 2 days. Already changing my practice based on the knowledge received.’—GP delegate, 2020
- ‘This was a well organised event. Valued educational material for CPD purposes.’—nurse delegate, 2020.
- Guidelines Live 2021 will take place at ExCeL, London on Tuesday 30 November and Wednesday 1 December 2021
- The 2-day conference will help you to keep up to date with new and updated clinical guidelines, ensuring that patients receive the best care as well as safeguarding your practice
- By attending the event, reflecting on your learning, and sharing your knowledge with your team, you will gain CPD credits
- Guidelines Live allows you to have your questions on guidance answered by expert GP speakers
- The event facilitates discussion of local challenges and workable solutions
- Guidelines Live also provides a valuable opportunity to network with colleagues and peers.
CPD=continuing professional development