Conservative management of prolapse—competency framework for primary care has been published by the Primary Care Women’s Health Forum (PCWHF).
Pelvic organ prolapse is a common condition, affecting up to half of all women who have had children with one in five reporting related symptoms.
This competency framework aims to:
- assess and advise regarding management options
- improve patient choice and experience by offering pessary management in the community
- ensure that standards of care are consistent and evidence based
- develop pathways that deliver quality, cost-effective, and streamlined care.
A pathway for the primary care management of prolapse is also included, offering a suggested pathway for assessment, management, and referral of patients with prolapse. Areas covered by the framework include:
- offering pessaries
- managing complications
- documentation and competency requirements for practitioners.