RCNi celebrates innovation, talent, and skill at 2017 awards
Published: 10 May 2017
The RCNi awards, which champion the innovation, talent, and skill of the UK’s nursing profession, took place on Friday 5 May at the Westminster Park Plaza Hotel in London. Over 400 nursing professionals came together for the evening, which celebrated the amazing work nurses do on a daily basis, the impact they have on patient’s lives, and how health outcomes and experience of care are improved by the innovative approaches they take.
The Andrew Parker Student Nurse Award, sponsored by Guidelines for Nurses, was won by University of Cumbria third year adult nursing student Zoe Butler for a project addressing mental health problems. The evening culminated in Melanie Davies being named the RCN Nurse of the Year 2017, for her work at Morriston Hospital, Swansea, making far-reaching changes to the care of vulnerable patients.
The full list of award winners included:
- Andrew Parker Student Nurse Award in association with RCN Fellows—Zoe Butler, University of Cumbria
- Bank Nurse Award—Aileen Coomber, Sussex Partnership NHS Trust
- Cancer Nursing Practice Award—Sharon Foy, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust
- Child Health Award—Drew Mcdonald, NHS Grampian
- Commitment to Carers Award—Jodie Deards, East and North Herefordshire Trust
- Community Nursing Award—Anne Thomas, Betsi CadwaladrUniversity Health Board
- Excellence in Cancer Research Award—Julie Hoole, Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust
- Innovations in your Speciality Award—Diane Palmer, North Essex Partnership NHS Trust
- Leadership Award—Amy Sims and Susie Scales, Derbyshore Community Health Services NHS Foundation Trust
- Learning Disability Practice Award—Melanie Davies, Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board
- Mental Health Practice Award—Alan Wilmott, CAMHS parent workshop team, Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust
- Nursing Older People Award—Susan Wills and Dena Ross, community matrons care homes team, Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust
- RCN Healthcare Assistant Award—Cemlyn Roberts, Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board
- Patient’s Choice Award—Joanna O’Toole, Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital
- RCN Nurse of the Year 2017—Melanie Davies, Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board.