Information intended for healthcare professionals only.
This formulary decision guide was developed from content provided by Accord UK Ltd in a format developed by Guidelines in Practice.
- Methofill® Self Inject is a pre-filled injector containing methotrexate1
- The self-injection device enables patients to confidently2 and easily3,4 administer a full dose
- Methofill® Self Inject disposes into a ≥1.8 litre sharps bin and has a needle guard for sharp injury prevention5
- Methofill® Self Inject is a pre-filled injector containing methotrexate and is indicated for:1
- active rheumatoid arthritis in adult patients
- polyarthritic forms of severe, active juvenile idiopathic arthritis, when the response to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) has been inadequate
- severe recalcitrant disabling psoriasis, which is not adequately responsive to other forms of therapy such as phototherapy, PUVA, and retinoids, and severe psoriatic arthritis in adult patients
- mild to moderate Crohn’s disease ether alone or in combination with corticosteroids in adult patients refractory or intolerant to thiopurines.
- Methotrexate must be administered only once a week; it is advisable to determine an appropriate fixed day of the week for the injection1
- Methofill® Self Inject is available in 10 strengths (50 mg/ml)1
- See the Summary of Product Characteristics1 for dosage information.
- Methofill® Self Inject contains a clear, yellow to brown solution1
- Methofill® Self Inject is a pre-filled injector designed for self-administration; it contains a colourless pre-filled glass syringe with plunger stopper and embedded injection needle1
- The device is easy to use3,4 and provides confidence that the full injection has been delivered2
- large grip, which is easy to press down during delivery3
- injection is completed when the orange body of the device is no longer visible1
- a ‘click’ sound indicates full dose delivery1
- a yellow band appears on the needle guard after use, indicating the needle guard has locked1
- In a participant study with 30 participants (15 of whom had rheumatoid arthritis or psoriatic arthritis) delivering 60 injections to the abdomen and 60 to the thigh:
- all participants stated they had no difficulty gripping or manipulating the device3
- 100% of injections were delivered without discomfort or pain6
- 90% of injections were rated ‘very easy’ or ‘easy’ to fully administer4
- the participant felt ‘very confident’ or ‘confident’ they had delivered the full injection on 93% of occasions.2
Disposal and handling
- Methotrexate is cytotoxic and should not come into contact with skin or mucosa; in the event of contamination, the affected area must be rinsed immediately with plenty of water1
- Pregnant healthcare personnel should not handle or administer methotrexate1
- Methofill® Self Inject dispose into a ≥1.8 litre sharps bin.
Instructions for use
- Patients must be clearly informed that the therapy must be administered once a week, not daily1
- Patients must be educated to use the proper injection technique; the first injection of methotrexate should be performed under direct medical supervision1
- Methofill® Self Inject is for single use only and all of the contents should be used
- The best places for the injection are the abdomen or thigh (for self-injection), with the option of the back of the arm if the patient is assisted by a healthcare provider or caregiver.
- Accord Healthcare Limited. Methofill solution for injection in pre-filled injector (7.5 mg, 10 mg, 12.5 mg, 15 mg, 17.5 mg, 20 mg, 22.5 mg, 25 mg, 27.5 mg, 30 mg) – summaries of product characteristics. www.medicines.org.uk/emc/search?q=%22Methofill%22
- Data on File (UK&IE/MET/0005/05-17)
- Data on File (UK&IE/MET/0008/06-17)
- Data on File (UK&IE/MET/0006/05-17)
- Data on File (UK&IE/MET/0004/05-17)
- Data on File (UK&IE/MET/0009/06-17)
Date of preparation: January 2019